Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
Click here to see what makes us an Eco-Friendly Dealership
Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, the company markets and distributes all-wheel drive Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories.
SOA understands its responsibility to the global environment, society at large, our customers, our distribution network and our employees. As we conduct our business operations into the future, we commit to establish and maintain an effective environmental management system that extends further than just meeting the stated environmental laws and regulations, and that encompasses the integration of sound environmental practices in all of our business decisions.
We commit to:
Subaru of America, Inc. reaffirms our commitment to being a world-class leader in environmental performance.
Here's something to think about: next time you take out your trash at home for collection, you're sending more trash to landfills than the entire Subaru manufacturing plant in Lafayette, Indiana (SIA) does in a year. The Subaru plant was the first auto assembly plant to achieve zero landfill status - nothing from its manufacturing efforts goes into a landfill. It's all reused and recycled. Each year, SIA actively recycles 99.3% of excess/leftover steel, plastic, wood, paper, glass, and other materials. The remaining 0.7% is shipped to the city of Indianapolis and incinerated to help generate steam. In 2006, SIA recycled 11,411 tons of scrap steel, 1,537 tons of cardboard and paper, and 963 tons of wood. That's equal to conserving 31,040 mature trees, 31,572 cubic yards of landfill space, 711,631 gallons of oil, and 10,759,000 gallons of water.
But SIA is no stranger to being a trailblazer when it comes to being environmentally responsible.
To build a green machine, you have to start green. See how we've set and achieved environmental stewardship goals for manufacturing at our Subaru of Indiana plant.
Click here to learn more about our environmental guidelines for our suppliers.
In 2003, Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. became the first automotive assembly plant to be designated as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. SIA's 800+ acres serves as a home for various wildlife including: white-tail deer, rabbits, Canadian Geese, Mallard Ducks, squirrels, beavers, coyote, snapping turtles, frogs, red-tail hawks, blue heron, and the Bald Eagle. Check out these pictures of our neighbors.
Subaru offers the most fuel efficient All-Wheel Drive vehicle lineup in America. Since 2003, Subaru has offered Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) certified Legacy, Outback, and Forester models for sale anywhere in the U.S. Subaru PZEV vehicles meet California?s Super-Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle exhaust emission standard. Gasoline vehicles meeting PZEV emissions standards can have even lower emissions than hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. Subaru PZEV vehicles are also U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certified SmartWay Vehicles and are honored in the EPA?s Green Vehicle Guide located at http://www.epa.gov/emissweb.
In 2004, Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. became the first automotive assembly plant to be 'Zero-Landfill'. SIA achieved this outstanding accomplishment in May of 2004 and has remained zero landfill. SIA sends nothing from its manufacturing process to the landfill. In other words, a typical household puts more trash in the ground than SIA's entire manufacturing facility.
Subaru recognizes that clean vehicles are just one component of a clean environment. In 2004, the Subaru of Indiana (SIA) plant was the first auto assembly plant in the U.S. to achieve zero landfill status - nothing from its manufacturing efforts goes into a landfill. Everything is reused and recycled. Since that time, the Subaru plant has produced zero landfill waste and 100 percent of the by-products from production are reclaimed. In fact, when you carry out your trash at home on the next collection day, you will be sending more trash to the landfill than the entire Subaru manufacturing plant does in a year. SIA is based in Lafayette, Indiana and produces the Subaru Legacy, Outback and Tribeca models.